#1. It all starts with a great quality source video!
The quality of a source video will directly impact the quality of the video watched in an email. A great source video can also create multiple video variants used in numerous email campaigns driving engagement & ROI on video production.
Playable creates 100+ versions of a video to guarantee the best viewing experience possible for your audience, which underpins the importance of a great source video.
- Only uploading high-definition (HD) source videos, like an MP4 or HEVC.
- Source video at x2 the size of the email video. eg 1200w upload/600w email
- Keep the source file short (a few minutes) to help manage final videos
#2. Video duration should meet the audience's preferences
Depending on the Plan, our limits on video duration vary between 10 & 60 seconds. But as our data shows, there are a few things to consider in regards to duration:
- Users do not want to watch long videos in an email
- Email clients do not support sound, so as a result, it limits the use of long videos
- Fine-tuning duration to meet user expectation/ preferences will increase results
- Different types of campaigns may require different duration limits
- Technology limitations to be considered, refer: How to increase video duration
- For more details please refer to Why Video Email Has No Sound?
#3. A clear Call to Action (CTA) within the video is key
A Call to Action (CTA) within any email campaign is vital for users to successfully engage. The advantage with Video Email is that the CTA can be in the video itself.
Placing the CTA in the video during production or afterward via the Playable online editor creates a more informative and effective Video Email.
Further support can be added by repeating the CTA in the email body (EDM), including options like descriptive text, a countdown timer, or a simple button.
#4. Video placement & size matters
The success of a campaign can be influenced by the placement & size of the video.
The correct placement and size does depend on a number of factors like industry, audience, video content, etc. So we encourage clients to experiment & test to identify the sweet spot that works best for all campaigns or different types of campaigns
Our data can confirm as a general rule that:
- Videos are more effective at the head or above the fold of a video email
- The primary video (if using more than one) should be the full width of the email
- Multiple videos can effectively promote advertising & sponsorship placement
- Smaller videos can be used below the fold to help draw users down the email
- Maximum sizes: 640w Desktop & 450w for mobile-first video email campaigns
#5. Avoid Talking Head video emails
As mentioned, email clients (ie Apple Mail, Gmail, etc) do not support sound for autoplay videos. So a video of someone talking with no sound will reduce the effectiveness of the video email campaign.
Workarounds, like adding captions, do improve this to a degree, but the full potential of video is realized when the imagery is captivating the audience.
Think of a movie trailer...don't try and capture the whole movie in a trailer, don't even give away the best bits, just create a desire within the user to watch & know more.
- Video vs GIF. What are the facts?
- The Benefits Of Playable's 30-Day Free Trial
- What Email Platforms (ESP) does Playable support?
- View more articles in the Playable Knowledge Base